the base word is vasu - वसु (see vAsudeva in the variations)
- meaning = vasu = wealth; bounty; precious stone; gold; eight vasus (type of devas), hence number eight; kubera; shiva; agni;
- pronunciation = va-su
- ITRANS = vasu
- common english spelling = vasu
- gender = m
- variations of names =
- vasudeva (m) = वसुदेव = father of kRiShNa, son of sUra. the shloka for kRiShNa goes - 'vasudeva-sutam devam kaMsa chANUra-mardanam...' here vasudeva is the father, and vasudeva-sutam become kRiShNa, the son of vasudeva.
- vasudhA (f) = वसुधा = earth; the treasure (-dhA) of vasu (wealth)
- vAsudeva (m) = वासुदेव = of vasudeva; son of vasudeva, kRiShNa. the famous mantra - 'om namo bhagavate vAsudevAya' is addressed to vAsudeva.
- vasudhArA (f) = वसुधारा = capital city of kubera.
- vAsavaH (m) = वासवः = indra
- vasundharA (f) = वसुंधरा = earth, the one bearing, holding the wealth (natural resources)
- other words, not necessarily names -
- vastu = वस्तु = thing, from vas ; vastutaH = in reality, actually;
- vAsuH = वासुः = (sarvatra vasati, resides everywhere) AtmA, viShNu
- vAsuki = वासुकि = name of a particular nAga (snake)
like it? then become a fan of the blog.
- shashikant joshi Sanskrit Names.
All rights reserved. Check us on Facebook